HISTORY OF NWFWC
Mr. Clarence C Walker, former principal of Dillard High School, helped start an organization called the Negro Woman's Club of Fort Lauderdale on October 17, 1938, at the Old Dillard Museum site. On March 9, 1939, the group was inducted into the Florida Association of Women's Club, Inc., and Youth Group, under their leadership they organized the first Parent Teachers Association in Broward County for the only colored school in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The group was known for their fundraising ability with the traditional pies, cakes, and sandwiches. The founding members were President Josie Davis, Vice President Eliza Robinson, Recording Secretary Viola Davenport, Assistant Secretary Eurlie King, Treasurer Annie P. Reed, and Chaplain Lula Bryant. The club also became affiliated with the Southeastern Association of Colored Women and Youth Clubs and the National Association of Colored Women and Youth Club, Inc.
The club was later renamed the Northwest Federated Woman's Club. From 1956 to 1959 great accomplishments occurred with the help of the Cobb Sewing Circle, which included the purchase of a clubhouse on NW 7th Ave and 4th Street.
The club was incorporated as a non-profit corporation in 1965, thus officially taking on the newly registered name of the Northwest Federated Woman's Club of Broward County, Inc. The Club purchased eight lots to build the clubhouse and in 1987 Mrs. Irma E. Allen, Project Director, brought the Satellite Senior Center into being. "Lifting As We Climb" became the clubs motto. The program served many seniors with daycare, nutrition, recreation, education, information, referrals, and also the EHEAP Program. The growing population of the project enabled the construction of an east wing to accommodate the handicapped clients.
The Club continued to grow in membership, awarding scholarships, and donating to charities. As the clientele increased the need for a bigger facility became an issue. The group decided to organize a building committee to host fundraising events for the new facility. They invited several Ministers/Pastors of the City of Fort Lauderdale to serve on this committee. They were blessed with the help of only one minister, Rev. Clarence E. Glover of Mount Bethel Baptist Church.
Current Senior Center Facility
As years went by, Ms. Sandra Hunter became the new Senior Project Director. Signed petitions by the community made it possible to request funds from the state to build a new facility.
The new Senior Center became a reality and was opened on May 15, 1998. The multi-million dollar center was named the Sylvia L. Poitier and Theodora S. Williams Senior Center. The Center provides a variety of services for the senior population of Broward County.